Thursday, September 26, 2013

Only In Japan

I love Japan. You know that.

I love anime and I love kaiju, but this just seemed so damn appropriate.

And my gosh it's hysterical.  The sense of the peculiar and otherness about it all is just one of the aspects we love about Japan.

Japan is just one the many elements that made Sophia Coppola's Lost In Translation (2003) so appealing.

It's all just a little different if you aren't from Japan.

These images speak volumes and nicely preface my upcoming post. Stay tuned.







































Of course, I'm not sure who's behind the other 22% or why 1952?


3 comments:

Roman J. Martel said...

Ok this reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from Mystery Science Theater 3000. I believe it was used in "Prince of Space".

Mike: (as a spaceship that looks like a cooked chicken flies over a city) Oh the humanity.

Crow: Oh the Japan-ity.

Indeed friend Crow... indeed.

Like you, I love Japanese pop culture a whole bunch, but it is also filled with WTF moments of pure insanity. But you know what, that's just part of why I love the stuff. :)

le0pard13 said...

Quite a set of images, unique to this ancient and insular tribal culture that continues to fascinate us all. Thanks for sharing, G.

SFF said...

Roman- I couldn't agree more with your point my friend. With anime, in particular, and kaiju fantasy, all that is uniquely Japanese about these productions makes it sometimes difficult to fully comprehend, but it is this sense of indefinability, at least to me, that makes it so awfully fun and appealing.

Michael - Wow. You and I must have gone to the same school. I had this very same observation based on history and shared a similar thought regarding that cultural fact within my next entry using much of the same verbiage.

Cheers guys.