Monday, September 28, 2009

Tom Baker: Death & Me [Part II]

As I continued reading Doctor Who Magazine #412 I was struck how interesting the article was. I knew when I got this issue I was going to get very little input from the great, classic Tom Baker concerning Doctor Who. I knew it was going to be more or less Tom Baker waxing poetic about life. I was never more wrong about how I would receive it, as I enjoyed his thoughts on life immensely. I tip my cap to interviewer Jason Arnopp who managed to ask the brief questions and let Tom Baker just roll with it. He never gets in the way of the man's actual thoughts and lets him, well, be interviewed. I really enjoyed it for that reason. Well done.

As for the great hereafter, Tom had a few additional thoughts of interest.

"Every now and again, we're shattered by the sense of loss at losing a friend, or a lover. It brings it home doesn't it?" He added "I don't know if the readers of Doctor Who Magazine want to read too much about death..."

Trust me doctor, we understand.

He closed. "There's no doubt about it. As I get older, I'm much more resigned to my age. There's nothing I can do about it, so I just have to take it, and try to be cheerful about it. All my life I;ve tried to be cheerful."

Amen Tom. There's plenty to be cheerful about. The Sci-Fi Fanatic is right there with you, but about that part about resignation.

No comments: