Friday, January 31, 2014

The Sci-Fi Fanatic BIG 20 Sci-Fi TV Heroes

...And drum roll, please, for The Sci-Fi Fanatic BIG 20 Sci-Fi TV Heroes response to SciFiNow's own Top 10 Sci-Fi TV Heroes.



20. Olivia Dunham (Fringe).



19. Tom Mason (Falling Skies).



18. Captain Kathryn Janeway (Star Trek: Voyager).



17. Buck Rogers (Buck Rogers In The 25th Century).



16. Captain Jonathan Archer (Star Trek: Enterprise).



15. Captain Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly).



14. Major Matoko Kusanagi (Ghost In The Shell).



13. Major John Sheppard (Stargate Atlantis).



12. Frank Black (Millennium).



11. The Doctor (Doctor Who) with Sarah-Jane.



10. Mark (Battle Of The Planets).



9. Jamie Sommers (The Bionic Woman).



8. Fox Mulder or Dana Scully (The X-Files).




7. Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation).



6. Major General Jack O'Neill or Samantha Carter (Stargate SG-1).



5. John Crichton (Farscape).



4. David Banner (The Incredible Hulk).



3. Starbuck or Apollo (Battlestar Galactica Classic).



2. Steve Austin (The Six Million Dollar Man).



1. James T. Kirk or Spock (Star Trek: The Original Series).




I certainly took my liberties with the OR option here, but this was a list I could live with.

Are there others?  Sure. Let it be said that I tried to approach my list of heroes in the most traditional sense of the classical hero.  Heroes generally associated with altruism, courage and a strong moral compass - the generally noble hero. I intentionally avoided the dark, ambiguous anti-hero popular today.



Other potential qualifiers in my book include Martin Landau as Commander John Koenig (Space:1999), Ed Bishop as Commander Edward Straker (UFO), Michael Billington as Colonel Paul Foster (UFO), Avery Brooks as Benjamin Sisko (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), Claus Valca and Lavie Head (Last Exile), Noa Izumi (Patlabor), Jonathan Frakes as Number One (Star Trek: The Next Generation), Virgil or Scott (International Rescue) (Thunderbirds), Edward James Olmos as William Adama (Battlestar Galactica), Guy Williams as John Robinson or Mark Goddard as Major Don West (Lost In Space).



Sadly, SciFiNow actually listed John Robinson (Lost In Space) and Captain Kathryn Janeway (Star Trek: Voyager) as two of the Worst Sci-Fi TV Heroes. Set phasers for stun!

4 comments:

Roman J. Martel said...

Love your list. Great to see Kusinagi on there. She's one of my favorites too. Was that list hard to compile? I know I have trouble with those kinds of lists, especially when you have so many characters to pick from.

Kirk for the win!

SFF said...

Thanks Roman. Just had a good time assembling it.

I kind of went through my blog to determine the series I love and filled in the gaps with the rest.

But, essentially, it's everything I enjoyed from yesterday to today.

I love Matoko too. What a great character.

Yes, Kirk for the win! ha.

El Vox said...

As good a list as I might think of. I'd have Kirk at the top too, along with the other respective Star Trek captains. I prefer the Lorne Greene role in BSG over Olmos. I enjoyed both captains from Babylon 5 as well, the series was sort of dark, but the heroic mold fits with many of the characters.

SFF said...

El Vox. Thank you.

I considered Sinclair and Sheridan from Babylon 5. Good show. I enjoyed many of the plot threads in that one. They would definitely work on any list.

Cheers my friend.