Friday, October 30, 2020

Jonathan Harris And Irwin Allen: On His Lost In Space Character Dr. Zachary Smith

"I was young and sweet and delicate and I said to myself, "Deep, dark villain?" There's no longevity in it- people will get bored with it. It's not pleasant. So I thought to add something- I thought I'd add "comic villainy"- at which I excel. So I started to sneak it in. Just little bits here and there, and then the ratings started to move up, which is all that matters. It is the bible of Hollywood. No numbers? Out into the snow! No questions asked- out!"

-Jonathan Harris, Interview: Jonathan Harris 2, William E. Anchors, Jr., The Lost In Space Encyclopedia II, (p. 348).



"Smith was despicable, desperate, selfish, cowardly, delightful, charming, awful, dreadful and marvelous. All of that I gave him. I was a lovable comic villain."

-Jonathan Harris, Starlog Magazine #248 (p.28)-


"The original Smith was a deep, dark, scowling villain and I hated him. … he was just so damn rotten."

-Jonathan Harris, Starlog Magazine #248 (p.29)-

"Smith was not originally created as a comedy character. He was just a villain, a constant threat in the first few episodes. Jonathan Harris was such a marvelous actor with great comedic overtones. He dictated what we should do with the character, and Dr. Smith became a villainous comic. We loved it. We loved it right from the beginning. Smith eventually became the show's big draw."

-Irwin Allen, Starlog Magazine #100 (p.29)-


"I don't remember who recommended Jonathan for the part, but I owe that person a dollar."

-Irwin Allen, Starlog Magazine #176 (p.59)-

2 comments:

SpacerGuy said...

Some might say Smith was dark but he seemed to enjoy insulting the robot for amusement.

SFF said...

Any enjoyment would seem to be wanted and welcomed to the characters of lost in space even for the evil and seditious Smith. Ha, Desperate times.