Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Ah, The Office

So, the New Year is going absolutely terrific so far, of course it's only been less than a whole day. Granted I suppose I should count my blessings. Somewhere out there someone has already started the year off badly. Needless to say, I like to take my time easing into the new year before everything goes to pot!

At the moment, I am sadly paralyzed after having a few days off and now I await my inevitable fate with the arrival of the daily grind. Vacations have a funny way of doing that. It's not like a weekend where every Monday comes and it's expected and dealt with accordingly. Vacations cause a kind of 'deer in the headlights' feel. I can't explain it. I like work alright, but I like time off a whole lot more. My wife can vouch for me on that, she's always trying to get me to do work. : )

Speaking of pot or in this case 'shite', it seems fitting that the other half and I have been watching The Office, the English version. I howl at the American version. The English version is actually, well, very English. At first, I was having a hard time adjusting to the accents and quick mumbling combined with the offbeat English sense of humor, but it grew on me fast.

I was really surprised to find there were only 2 Seasons. Get this, each season is comprised of 6 bloody episodes. That's it folks, then call it a day. Can you imagine if American programming allowed for 6 episode seasons. What is up with that? It makes Jericho's greenlit partial, second season look normal by British standards. Shoot, I'll be back on sci-fi before you know it, which reminds me. If I ever get off topicit's perfectly legitimate. This blog is Musings Of A Sci-Fi Fanatic, not Sci-Fi Musings Of A Sci-Fi Fanatic. I think I'm covered. Besides, despite being heavily Sci-Fi driven here, man or woman cannot live by science fiction alone, unless of course I was single.

Anyway, there are loads of funny bits in the English version of The Office and it's well worth checking out as it has its own loveable and eccentric cast of characters. It's easy to see where the US version was clearly influenced by set design. America's Office has the hysterical Steve Carell, a dynamic office manager in his own right, while comedian Ricky Gervais is equally brilliant. Two shows carved from the same stone that are both uniquely splendid.

As for me, I head back to the office grind too and I can tell you this, it won't be half as much fun or half as funny.


No comments: