Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Incredible Hulk Theme Version 1

The theme to The Incredible Hulk may be one of the finest theme songs ever recorded. It was unquestionably one of the best of the 1970s.

On a personal note, I often recorded the classic track using the tape recorder on my boom box. I recorded portions of The Lonely Man theme by composer/ arranger Joe Harnell [1924-2005], who also composed for The Bionic Woman, as well as lines of Bill Bixby dialogue.

Back then, we didn't have computers and access to videos. I had my shot at seeing each episode of The Incredible Hulk one time and that was it. Times have changed and access has changed indeed.

This theme and the themes to Wonder Woman, The Six Million Dollar Man, Land Of The Lost and Space:1999 were some of the classics of the day. They were among my favorites.

The late Ted Cassidy [1932-1979], who also provided growls for The Hulk, provided the vocal narration to the grim-toned theme. Clearly some real risks were taken with the somber tone of the opening, but as kids it never scared us away.

This particular opening was omitted from the first official episode, Pilot [1977], of The Incredible Hulk. It was first implemented for the second official pilot entry for The Incredible Hulk called Death In The Family [1977]. The theme would receive an even different, edited treatment for the series when it began with the third episode, Final Round [1978]. The television theme often feels like a lost art.

2 comments:

le0pard13 said...

Great highlight of this show's theme, SFF. It's underrated. Brings me to back to a time where a program's theme song could be memorable in way that's rarely found today. Thanks.

p.s., btw, BREAKING BAD's is quite distinct in a shorter, but good way.

SFF said...

Absolutely right. So rare.

And I'm not sure why I found the dialogue for David Banner fascinating, but for whatever reason I thought he offered much wisdom that seemed to speak to me even as a kid.

BTW, your point about new theme songs is a good one and that's exactly it. Today, they are short, but sometimes lack imagination. Some are very good and subtle, but nothing quite like The Incredible Hulk. Tks L13