Friday, April 20, 2012

The Sci-Fi Fanatic BIG 10: Thunderbirds International Rescue Craft

It's FAB FRIDAY! Throngs of people wave and jostle their arms about in the air in celebration of this always massive day.

I would ask for a drum roll, but instead will defer to the wonderful thumping, almost militant-propelled orchestral stylings of that propulsive score by composer Barry Gray created for the opening and closing themes of Thunderbirds. Feel free to play the closing score for your accompanying soundtrack to this unabashed love letter to the craft designs of all things Thunderbirds.




5-4-3-2-1! It's time for a little love for all things Gerry and Sylvia Anderson from that wonderful world of Thunderbirds.

This post is dedicated solely to my favorite, top BIG 10 Thunderbirds International Rescue Craft. I have listed them in order of personal affection. I would say there isn't much to knock when it comes to Thunderbirds because they are all so equally amazing, but if I had to pick, ten to one, I've done it for you here.

10. Domo 1.

9. Transmitter Truck.

8. Thunderbird 5.

7. Thunderbird 3.

6. Thunderbird 4.

5. Thunderbird 1.

4. The Mole.

3. The Firefly.

2. Recovery Vehicle.

1. Thunderbird 2.

Runner up: the remote-controlled High Speed Elevator Car.


So there you have it pilgrims! Where do you stand on the handiwork found in Thunderbirds? UFO and Space:1999 certainly offered us some special selections and The Eagle may take the cake hands down as the best from the world of all things FAB, but, Thunderbird 2 would indeed battle The Eagle for the top spot. The complete Gerry Anderson vehicle list will be forthcoming. Still, for my money, the Thunderbirds series offered an abundance of excitement in all shapes and sizes and remain as stunning and practical as ever in their immaculate detail and beauty. The series holds the crown for mechanical design within the Gerry Anderson universe. In fact, it may arguably be the best ever. There is no substitute. Yes, these Thunderbirds are go!

3 comments:

Franco Macabro said...

I think I saw a couple of episodes when i was a kid, but I dont remember much! I remember the puppets and the strings and the vehicles, but nothing else. I like that green plane, retro yet futuristic!

le0pard13 said...

Man, I use to love all the hardware this show had on display! Great coverage of this, SFF. Cheers!

SFF said...

Exactly right Franco "retro yet futuristic."

Thank you both.
sff